I love feedback. Leave a comment below!

It's the Ligament, Stupid

Red = damage. Image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray355.png

My podiatrist, Dr. Pribut, is a trip. He's also extremely knowledgeable, understands runners and he's Metro accessible. It didn't take long for him to diagnose my problem as a ligament that had gotten overstretched (so much for my tendon theory).

Apparently, I turned my right ankle at some point during Bull Run Run 50 Miler (maybe it happened when I face-planted, twice). The strange thing is that it didn't hurt at the time or even during any of my recovery runs until nearly a week later. It doesn't hurt to walk, and I don't have any noticeable swelling. I always get odd injuries that seem to come out of nowhere. 

He did say the forces that caused my injury could have resulted in a fracture, so I consider myself lucky. I'm also frankly ecstatic that I am not in a boot or on crutches.

He prescribed rest, for 7 days. No running, biking, hiking, swimming or pool running (what!? I thought you could pool run with any injury!) or anything that stresses the ankle for a week. That means about half of the 26 Bikram yoga postures are out since they require serious plantarflexion or dorsiflexion of the ankle. 

Image from http://twofeetstuckoutside.blogspot.com/2010/07/to-plantarflex-to-dorsiflex.html

He also ordered me to begin rehabilitation exercises, twice a day on the Wobble Board

My new best friend

This week, I am only allowed to do Front to Back.

Front to Back on the Wobble Board

Next week, if things go well I can add Side to Side.


Side to Side on the Wobble Board

And finally, in Week 3 I will graduate to Round and Round!

The Pinnacle of Ankle Rehab, rotational Wobbling!
Starting Friday, I can run again: 2 miles every other day, as long as that is well below my pain threshold.

This means my beloved Capon Valley 50K is off the race schedule. Bummer. All my friends will be running it, and I'll be the only one not getting my feet wet.

I haven't made a final decision on Laurel Highlands 70 Miler, but I'm leaning strongly toward dropping down to the 50K race. I'd rather not run 70 miles under-trained and with the increased risk of tweaking my ligament again, or worse. It seems like the smart decision.

After all, my ultimate goal is to keep on running for a long time.





17 comments:

  1. WHAT? NO SWIMMING? I'd have raged on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody expects the wobble board!

    Get better soon.

    Dr. Rootchopper sez: Apply chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer kiddo. You have choice though: fix a small problem now, or fix a big problem later. Dr. Rootchopper has a good medical plan, though I would point out that to avoid stomach problems, you should also apply red wine. Good luck on the therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang it. I am so sorry. And I agree with the comment above. Chocolate will make it feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark Chocolate and 'dark' Merlot sound like a great script to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sorry to hear that! I hope the week off is just the trick and you're back to running without pain quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got the problem diagnosed and that it was not a fracture. Sorry you have to give up the Capon Valley race, but probably a very good decision not to do it. I'm glad you'll have a short recuperation period so you can run again soon. The wobble board looks like fun. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about swimming with a pull buoy, and doing mid-lane flipturns? Not that I know anyone who did that for months following an ACL tear ... Seriously, sending you healing thoughts, and balance for the wobble board (that thing's no joke!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, GREAT idea Amy! Do they generally have them at the pool, like the belts, or must you bring your own?

      Delete
  9. Feel better soon! I can't believe no swimming, so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, buddy. Hang in there. And get better fast! We need you back out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the wobble board! I have really weak ankles and always have used it as a rehab tool. 7 days will go quickly and then you'll be back out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BAH to your foot. I'm sorry. I'll round and round with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear this news, but I hope the wobble board gets your ligament back up to full strength quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you heal up real quick! Enjoy the run on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The human body is quite amazing - I have NO ACL in my left knee but run nearly every day and ski all winter. Sorry to read your news but you will reciver soon....best wishes

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave a comment!